FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE TOPICS
Mitochondrial Dynamics: Insights & Education
Mitochondria: The Powerhouse of the Cell
As the driver of all physiological activity, mitochondria and the energy they produce play an integral role in health and disease. These organelles are at the center of energetic balance; what do they require for enduring, optimal function? How does their dysfunction lead to diseases that severely impact a patient’s quality of life and their ability to live fully?
Learning how to recognize and help recover compromised mitochondrial function is key to addressing the varied underlying causes of fatigue, depression, headache, and neurodegenerative disorders. Explore more below about how Functional Medicine addresses common issues related to mitochondrial dysfunction, as well as effective therapeutic interventions and the profound potential of the healing partnership.
Mitochondrial Function Related Articles
IFM's Energy Advanced Practice Module
Summer 2020: Boston, MA | Live Stream Available | Up to 16.25 CME Credits
This module will investigate the science of mitochondrial function and dysfunction, the impact of oxidative stress, as well as nutritional and lifestyle influences on both health and disease.
- Define and understand the importance of energy regulation and mitochondrial function from a clinical perspective.
- Employ advanced approaches to history, physical examination, and laboratory assessments to improve the recognition of clinical syndromes related to mitochondrial function and energy regulation.
- Individualize functional treatment protocols to address mitochondrial dysfunction and increased demand for cellular energy.
- Identify common antecedents, triggers, and mediators underlying mitochondrial dysfunction and increased energy demand in clinical syndromes and map energy regulation issues to the Functional Medicine clinical matrix.
- Develop and apply a personalized approach to preparing for clinical encounters.
- Improve clinical outcomes through the intentional development of true therapeutic partnerships with patients.
- Recognize when to use or refer patients for physical medicine treatments and various electrical and mind-body modalities to address pain, improve energy regulation, support structural integrity, and tissue healing.
- Design and implement interventions to mitigate the effects of oxidative stress, inflammation, and structural changes on mitochondrial function.
- Apply functional “Clinical Considerations” to more effectively evaluate and personalize treatments for fatigue, chronic pain, depression, headaches, and neurodegenerative disorders.
Notify Me When Registration is Available
Learn About IFM's Mitochondrial Function Experts
Sign up for IFM's weekly newsletter to receive Functional Medicine news and insights on topics such as nutrition, common conditions you see in your practice, and improving patient compliance.*
Functional Medicine Newsletter