FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE TOPICS
Web of Hormones: Insights & Education
Re-establishing Hormonal Balance
The hypothalamic, pituitary, adrenal, thyroid, and gonadal axis modulates health in a wide variety of ways. Hormone replacement therapy (HRT) is an extremely common intervention, but it has its own health risks and may not address underlying causes of hormonal imbalance. The functional medicine approach often starts with personalized lifestyle interventions, sometimes augmented with botanicals or supplements. Explore more below about how functional medicine addresses common issues related to hormone dysfunction.
Hormone Related Articles
Functional Medicine Advanced Practice Modules® (APM) Hormone
November 18 - 20, 2022 | International Live Steam | Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) | Up to 18.75 CPD hours
July 14 - 16, 2023 | Live Steam | Up to 18.75 CME hours Available
This module will clarify how to approach hormonal dysregulation, with emphasis on comprehensive hormonal assessment and an integrative approach to treatment of hormonally-driven conditions.
- Broad understanding of the impact stress has on the physiology and pathophysiology of the HPATG axis and the autonomic nervous system
- Broad understanding of the physiology and pathophysiology associated with melatonin, cortisol, DHEA, pregnenolone, TSH, T3, T4, RT3, testosterone, progesterone, estrogen, and specifically their signaling, sensitivity, activity, metabolism, and excretion
- Recognize common antecedents and triggers and signs and symptoms associated with dysregulation of the HPATG axis
- Evaluate the most important laboratory tests to use in assessing hormone-related dysfunction, and recognize common pitfalls of lab testing
- Develop and organize individual treatment protocols using diet, nutraceuticals, botanicals, pharmaceuticals, and mind-body/behavioral interventions in the area of hormone dysregulation.
- Appropriately prescribe bioidentical hormones; understand important differences in routes of delivery, issues regarding safety and effectiveness, and HRT risks.
- Understand the controversies around breast cancer prevention and appropriately plan treatment programs for women.
- Recognize the role of the mind-body connection as antecedent, trigger, and mediator in the feed-forward cycle of chronic disease.
IFM's Hormone Experts
Sign up for IFM's weekly newsletter to receive Functional Medicine news and insights on topics such as nutrition, common conditions you see in your practice, and improving patient compliance.*
Functional Medicine Newsletter