FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE TOPICS
Understanding Immune Dysfunction
The Many Faces of Immune Dysregulation and Chronic Inflammation: Chronic Infections, Atopy, and Autoimmune Disorders
The innate immune system is the gatekeeper for coordinating the body’s entire immune response, and over the last decade, a growing body of knowledge on the clinical impacts of unbalanced innate immunity has begun to make an impact in the treatment of immune-related disorders. Functional Medicine teaches that immune imbalance, while often resulting from a genetic disposition and environmental factors, will generally arise in the context of one or more of the following: the habitual consumption of a proinflammatory diet; food allergies and intolerances; microbial infections; hormonal imbalances; nutritional insufficiencies; and xenobiotic exposure. How can dietary and lifestyle modifications help return the immune system to a state of balance? Learn more below.
Explore Articles About the Immune System
Functional Medicine Advanced Practice Modules® (APM) Immune
February 2021 in Clearwater Beach, FL | Live Stream Available | Up to 17 CME Credits
This module will focus on chronic inflammation, systemic influences on the immune system, and the consequent dysfunction that may ensue. The Immune APM will supply clinicians with an in-depth understanding of underlying immune mechanisms and offer effective interventions to use even in the absence of a conventional diagnosis.
- Recognize patterns of chronic inflammation or immune dysfunction that will help guide overall evaluation and treatment of patients.
- Broadly understand the physiology and pathophysiology associated with inflammation and immune dysregulation and their associations with systemic disease.
- Elicit and recognize important history and physical exam findings associated with immune dysregulation and inflammation so as to counsel patients appropriately on evaluation and treatment options.
- Evaluate and recognize the most important underlying antecedents, triggers, and mediators of immune dysfunction and inflammation.
- Reframe the patient’s story in the context of the Functional Medicine Matrix Model and a patient-centered assessment, with incorporation of the concepts of antecedents, triggers, and mediators.
- Learn how to evaluate the most useful and reliable laboratory tests associated with immune dysfunction and inflammation.
- Develop and organize individual treatment protocols that include dietary changes, lifestyle modifications, nutraceutical, pharmaceutical and botanical treatments.
Notify Me When The Next Opportunity is Available
Functional Medicine Immune Experts
Learn More Now: Proceedings from the 2018 Annual Conference on Autoimmunity
Solving the Puzzle of Autoimmunity: The Interplay of Gut, Genes, and Environment
IFM’s 2018 Annual International Conference on autoimmunity focused on the exploding research and therapies around the interconnected roles of intestinal permeability, genetic disruptors, and various environmental triggers that coalesce to create autoimmune disease.
Watch lectures from educators at the Annual Conference who translate data into actions that can prevent, treat, and reverse the triggers and mediators of autoimmune disease in patients.
Sign up for IFM's weekly newsletter to receive Functional Medicine news and insights on topics such as nutrition, common conditions you see in your practice, and improving patient compliance.*
Functional Medicine Newsletter