Nutrition Enhances Health Outcomes
Nutritional imbalances may contribute to disease pathology and progression, as research links micronutrient deficiencies to several chronic conditions. Improving a patient's dietary patterns and practices has the power to boost immunity, strengthen resilience, and enhance overall wellness—which is why nutrition-based interventions are fundamental components of many therapeutic strategies used to combat chronic illness and restore optimal health. Applying nutrition as a frontline treatment may help patients see dramatic improvement in their symptoms and experience a renewed vitality.
- World Health Organization. Levels and trends in child malnutrition: UNICEF/WHO/The World Bank Group joint child malnutrition estimates: key findings of the 2021 edition. Published May 5, 2021. Accessed July 29, 2022. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240025257
- Stevens GA, Paciorek CJ, Flores-Urrutia MC, et al. National, regional, and global estimates of anaemia by severity in women and children for 2000-19: a pooled analysis of population-representative data. Lancet Glob Health. 2022;10(5):e627-e639. doi:10.1016/S2214-109X(22)00084-5
- Economic Research Service. Food Insecurity in the U.S.: key statistics & graphics. US Department of Agriculture. Updated September 7, 2022. Accessed September 30, 2022. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-u-s/key-statistics-graphics/#
- Bird JK, Murphy RA, Ciappio ED, McBurney MI. Risk of deficiency in multiple concurrent micronutrients in children and adults in the United States. Nutrients. 2017;9(7):655. doi:10.3390/nu9070655
- Reider CA, Chung RY, Devarshi PP, Grant RW, Hazels Mitmesser S. Inadequacy of immune health nutrients: intakes in US adults, the 2005-2016 NHANES. Nutrients. 2020;12(6):1735. doi:10.3390/nu12061735
Explore the latest research on nutrition
Micronutrient deficiency is increasingly common and may lead to states of disease.
Nutrition & Menopause
Hormone fluctuations during menopause come with increased health risks for women.
Hormone Signaling & Diet
Dietary patterns may influence cellular sensitivity to hormone signals.
Nutrition & Mental Health
Diet quality may improve outcomes for chronic mental disorders and mental wellness.
Gut microbiota imbalances may ultimately affect inflammatory and metabolic pathways.
Food First Approach
Empowering patients to change their eating habits can be an effective first step.
Watch functional medicine experts discuss nutrition
P. Michael Stone, MD, MS
Robert Rountree, MD
Lisa M. (Perry) Portera, DC
Liz Lipski, PhD, CNS, FACN, BCHN, LDN
This course explores the evidence-base and clinical applications of modifiable lifestyle factors.
Take a closer look at how the factors below affect the body: